bounty: Please backport wpa 2.4-0ubuntu8 (main) from zesty to trusty

Adam Monsen haircut at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 08:13:30 PST 2016

Forgive the somewhat complicated and backwards-dated quoting, below. I'm
trying hard to preserve provenance. I lead with permission to bring this
conversation back on-list, then I get to the original query.

On 12/10/2016 02:31 PM, Siarhei Siniak wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have not found any discussion board up there on that site.

I first filed a backport request, here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/trusty-backports/+bug/1648910 . I don't know
of any other discussion of folks asking for a backport of wpa/hostapd
2.4+ to Ubuntu 14.04.

> Why do you think it's that easy to backport hostap?

I don't know if this is easy or not.

> I think it is not an issue of 50$. Because it's not money.

I get that, I've been involved in FLOSS communities for 15+ years. The
point of the bounty is to raise awareness but also to help a dev recoup
some of the cost of working on this since time is never free. Hopefully
an "ad" to get paid to write/maintain FLOSS is a welcome one.

> I'd like to look into the issue, but I have no time.

I get that too! No worries. If this backport makes sense (and that's
surely the first thing to determine), maybe someone else will make the time.

> Why don't you solve the issue yourself?

There's a lot I'd like to do myself. :-)

I can do it, but it would take me much longer than someone else with
more experience in this codebase and more wifi/wpa/hostapd domain knowledge.

> And what's the point to make it run on 14.04?

That's just a selfish need. I want the fixes and features in the newer
versions of hostapd, and the device I'm maintaining runs Ubuntu 14.04.

> I have a smartphone, which has the same old version of
> this soft. It is running with 4.1 Android. And it works pretty fine.
>
> Tell me any worth of it functionality, that 2.0 lacks?

Great question!

Ubuntu comes with hostapd 2.1. I'm unable to create a 5Ghz access point
even after trying many different configurations. So, my initial need is
for 5Ghz to work.

> Siarhei

In case it helps, here's the hardware I'm working with lately.

snippet of lspci -v output:

02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
	Memory at aa000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
	Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
	Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
	Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 00-21-5c-ff-ff-d3-b3-37
	Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
	Capabilities: [154] L1 PM Substates
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

$ sudo iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  Mode:Master  Tx-Power=22 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

Cheers,
-Adam

~ http://adammonsen.com ~