Problems connecting with wpa_supplicant

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 13:11:47 PST 2015

On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 21:50 +0100, Jo wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer.
>
> I don't think the AP is the problem because if I load the live with the
> same AP configuration it works
>
> The firmware loaded is the same in both cases as showed by the dmesg |
> grep firmware.
>
> lspci shows that I've got a Realtek RTL8191SEvB, which I guess is the
> kernel module
> 	Realtek RTL8192SE/RTL8191SE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
>
> I tried loading all the family realtek as modules but it didn't fix it.
>
> But if wpa_supplicant does perform some activities with the card such as
> scanning, doesn't that mean that the correct kernel modules of the card
> are active?

Yes.  But it doesn't mean that the driver for your card or the kernel's
802.11 stack are bug-free.  It's likely that the Gentoo Live thing and
the just-installed (and updated) OS have different kernel versions (and
thus different driver versions).  You could try downgrading your kernel
to the same version that is on the Live thing.

Dan