Problem with the ROAM wpa_cli command and external scans.

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Aug 14 14:10:19 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:09:59AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> Currently, for instance, I get this output:
>
> [root at ben-ota-2 lanforge]# wpa_cli -i sta100 ROAM aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
> FAIL
>
> It would be nice if output were more like this:
>
> [root at ben-ota-2 lanforge]# wpa_cli -i sta100 ROAM aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
> FAIL
> Error-Code: 7707
> Error-Message:
> sta100:  Cannot roam because we can't find this AP in our scan table
> at this time.

I'm not sure an English sentence would be the best approach to use in
the control interface, so I'd probably drop Error-Message part. As far
as Error-Code is concerned, I'm not sure I'd go with that either. There
are existing examples of FAIL-<reason> and that's likely the simplest
approach here as well.

> If we are worried about backwards compat, could call:  wpa_cli --verbose_error [cmds]
> so that only those that request the extra info get it.

That's wpa_cli.. The other part is how the control interface command and
response to it would handle this. A prefix of some sort (VERSION=<foo>
ROAM...) could potentially used if extra information needs to be made
conditional. In the case of clearly test-only functionality like ROAM, I
don't there would be much harm in just replacing the FAIL return in this
specific case with FAIL-UNKNOWN-BSS.