PSK-SHA256

Jouni Malinen j
Sun May 11 09:39:51 PDT 2014

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 07:04:17PM +0100, Nick wrote:
> I've got hostapd v2.0 working seemingly OK, but I'd like to make things
> as secure as possible and so have been drawn the WPA-PSK-SHA256 choice
> for wpa_key_mgmt in hostapd.conf.
>
> I can associate my laptop with hostapd, and a neighbour's phone seems
> happy with this:
>
> > get_config
> bssid=00:19:e0:82:d6:b9
> ssid=WOPR
> wps_state=disabled
> key_mgmt=WPA-PSK WPA-PSK-SHA256
> group_cipher=CCMP
> rsn_pairwise_cipher=CCMP
>
> 'iwlist wlan0 scan' on my laptop shows the WOPR network with
> authentication schemes of PSK and unknown. So is the problem actually
> with wpa_supplicant?

What problem? Based on what you describe above, the only issue that
seems to be here is in iwlist (which has been obsolete for years) does
not know how to display the correct name for the SHA256-based key
management option.. I'm not sure how any of this would have anything to
do with wpa_supplicant.

> In hostapd_cli, or otherwise, how can I tell what auth scheme has been
> used? My neighbour's out and so I can't see how his phone is behaving
> right now - not that I know what to look for.

It does not look like hostapd would currently expose this in a
convenient way.