P2P Channel list: Applying regulatory rules

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Dec 17 14:52:37 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 11:17:47PM +0530, Krishna Chaitanya wrote:
> > If I understood what you are proposing, I would be quite unlikely to
> > accept such a change. This area in P2P has required significant
> > fine-tuning to cover practical use cases and I'm not going to be undoing
> > those based on that one sentence in the spec.
> Wouldn't we violating the spec, even if its one line?

At times, there may be reasons to not follow the spec if the spec is
incorrect, causes interoperability issues with deployed devices, or does
not provide sufficient flexibility for practical use cases.

> > None of the DFS channels are included in the P2P channel list now
> > anyway and there is already quite a bit of conditions removing channels
> > on which the device cannot become a GO.
>
> While preparing the channel list i dont see any conditions?

You may not be looking closely enough.. All channels with the NO_IR flag
are filtered out from P2P channel list.

> We are using WORLD mode, where entire band is disabled
> for use in 5GHz for AP operation and it list all domains in 5GHZ.

Huh? Not in my tests.. Unless specifically configured to add
client-capable channels, wpa_supplicant includes only 2.4 GHz channels
1-11 in the Channel List attribute in GO Negotiation Request if the
driver is configured for world roaming mode.