[RFC 06/10] nl80211_driver: add support for P2P device in adding and removing interface

Johannes Berg johannes
Tue Feb 12 23:41:51 PST 2013

> > > That's not really necessary, unless you want to have a single P2P
> > > Device interface shared between multiple devices, no?
> >
> > Correct, but it seems to make sense to accommodate for it instead of doing
> > another patch later on (although the patch went in for v3.9, right?). Just a
> > comment, I leave it to David what to do with it.
> >
> I don't think it required, since wpa_supplicant has only one P2P state
> machine, I don't see a reason to deal with more than one P2P device.

I think the idea behind it was that you could have a 2.4/5 GHz device
and a 60 GHz device and have them both use the same P2P Device Address
so you can use them interchangeably.

However I'd actually argue that you should just create the second one
with the same address as the first (and even creating a second one in
cases like that will need a lot of work) so that you can get the device
address assigned by the kernel? OTOH, if the kernel has no address,
we'll probably have to allow changing it? This may need some work.

johannes