wpa-supplicant not auto-connecting

Dan Williams dcbw
Tue Oct 9 12:28:30 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 03:11 +0200, Ben wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Two issues. One is the reason I subscribed, the second meta/a list
> issue.
>
> 1) I've got a RaspPi, with a realtek based wifi dongle. That thing is
> recognized correctly and works fine to the best of my knowledge.
> If I power up that thing it won't connect to any wifi network though.
> I can 'fix' the situation by logging on (using ethernet or
> keyboard/monitor/a local console) and invoking 'reassociate' via
> wpa_cli.
> I consider that a proof of
> - the fact that the hardware works (reliable connection from this
> point on)
> - my configuration being mostly sensible (it connects to a local WPA2
> network without issues, without changing a thing).
>
> Any idea what I could miss that prevent a successful association
> directly after boot? Without human interaction?

About the best thing you can do with any bug report is to include the
output of the program showing the problem.  For wpa_supplicant, you want
to add "-dddt" to the arguments when it gets executed on bootup; not
sure how the Raspberry Pi does that.  Make sure that the log output is
also directed to a file using "-f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log" or
something like that.  Then grab those logs when the problem happens,
sanitize them, and attach them.  Only with the logs can the developers
easily see what's going on and where the problem might be.

Dan