hostap-1.0-rc3 update

Kel Modderman kel
Thu Feb 16 00:47:54 PST 2012

Hi Angie,

> On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 06:16 +1000, Kel Modderman wrote:
> > > If you have a patch you feel I've missed, that you would like included, this is your last chance to request it! You can find the current hostap-1.0 tree here:
> > > http://hostap.epitest.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap-1.git;a=summary
> > > or
> > > git://w1.fi/srv/git/hostap-1.git
>
> > Are these release candidates going to be formally released for testing or
> > only tagged in git as development milestones?
>
> > Bjarke Istrup Pedersen asked the same question on the 02/02/2012 without
> > answer and I think other distribution maintainers of hostap software could
> > benefit to know also. For myself, I have to see how the hostap release fits
> > into the Debian/Ubuntu cycle, and the lack of end user testing of release
> > candidates make me a bit more nervous than usual.
>
> Hi Kel,
>
> Apologies. My response to Bjarke was direct and didn't hit the mailing
> list.
>
> He specifically asked for a tarball, which I provided via the gitweb
> link above. A tarball can be generated by clicking on the link labeled
> "snapshot" to the right of the commit.
>
> Does this meet your needs as well? If not, what would you like to see?

I don't mind either way, it was not clear to me from the announcements how,
where and in what form the release candidates were actually being released.

> I would also prefer to have more end user testing, but that doesn't seem
> likely until it gets picked up by one or more of the distributions,
> right?

Yep, and before that the distribution packagers first need to know how and
where to pick up the code.

I, and the Debian/Ubuntu package helpers (uscan - a tool to regularly check a
project release location for new releases), have been programmed to look for
releases at: http://w1.fi/releases. Either I did not pay enough attention to
the various release plan announcements or it just wasn't explained in simple
enough terms for me to understand that the release point had changed. So I
asked and you answered, thanks :)

Thanks, Kel.