Question on forcing stations to be in particular a/b/g/n & HT mode.

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Oct 20 10:48:08 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 02:43:40PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> My use is purely for testing purposes (being able to use a single /a/b/g/n
> chipset to emulate a/b/g stations as well as /n stations.
>
> It appears I have the disable-11n stuff working, and I'm now trying to
> figure out how to disable ht40.
>
> Aside from testing, could this perhaps be useful to limiting power
> consumption and/or working around strange issues with dodgy APs?
> I realize it's a stretch, so if you see no use for it, I'll just
> carry the patches in my own trees.

If you can get through the needed patches to cfg80211, I can consider
adding matching changes to wpa_supplicant.. ;-) For testing purposes,
I'd guess this could be done without changing anything in wpa_supplicant
since it does not really currently do any kind of mode selection (that
is left to the driver).