Question on forcing stations to be in particular a/b/g/n & HT mode.

Ben Greear greearb
Wed Oct 19 14:43:40 PDT 2011

On 10/19/2011 02:37 PM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:39:05AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>> We've had good luck with virtualizing lots of stations
>> and having them talk to various APs.  Now, I'd like to
>> improve on this a bit and be able to control some of
>> the options for individual clients such as HT-40 v/s HT-20,
>> Limit to /g even if /a/b/g/n is supported, etc.  The kernel
>> side of this will be the ath9k driver.
>
> Where do you want to control that? On the station?

Yes.

>> I would be grateful for pointers if any of this can
>> currently be done, or to areas in the hostapd and/or kernel
>> code that would need modifying to support this.
>
> hostapd can be configured to different modes.. wpa_supplicant does not
> have this level of configuration and I find it somewhat difficult to see
> where it would be used in real life, i.e., it sounds reasonable to
> follow what the AP advertises as supported.

My use is purely for testing purposes (being able to use a single /a/b/g/n
chipset to emulate a/b/g stations as well as /n stations.

It appears I have the disable-11n stuff working, and I'm now trying to
figure out how to disable ht40.

Aside from testing, could this perhaps be useful to limiting power
consumption and/or working around strange issues with dodgy APs?
I realize it's a stretch, so if you see no use for it, I'll just
carry the patches in my own trees.

Thanks,
Ben

--