[hostapd] Multicast packets not encrypted

Dennis Borgmann dennis.borgmann
Sat May 28 03:46:56 PDT 2011

Hi!

I am using an encrypted connection with two dedicated devices using
freeradius and hostapd with eap encryption - respectively
wpa_supplicant. Everything is working fine, except transmission of
multicast packets.

I put an independant device into monitor mode and - as to be expected -
I can only see encrypted packets. Apart from multicast packets - those I
can read in plain.

How can this be?

On the machines using the wireless encryption this routing table is present:

:~# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
wlan0
224.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         240.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
wlan0

Once I issue a

ping 224.0.0.1

I can read the ping packets in plain on the machine with the wireless
card in monitor mode. Apart from that, the machine, that should receive
the multicast packet, does not "see" the multicast packets (nothing to
see in tcpdump of the respective receiver device, that is part of the
encrypted connection).

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Dennis