operation of GO after group formation in p2p

Huijun Gan ghjkevin
Tue Jul 12 22:33:49 PDT 2011

2011/7/13 Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi>:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 09:44:34AM +0800, ghj kevin wrote:
>> I am studying on the src code of wpa_supplicant. I know that for
>> nl80211 interface, the p2p state machine is implemented by supplicant.
>> I have a question that, how does wpa_supplicant passes GO related
>> parameters to driver after the completion of GO negotiation?
>
> The network interface (or a newly added network interface if separate
> interfaces are used for P2P groups) is set up in AP/GO mode and a Beacon
> frame template is configured to enable AP-like functionality on the
> interface at that point.
>
>> In p2p listen, I noticed that the probe_req_report is called. But, in
>> wpas_go_neg_completed(), how does the driver know that they are now a
>> group owner and they should pass the probe req frame to supplicant?
>> Or, after group formation, is the supplicant still resposible for
>> buiding and sending probe response frame?
>
> This depends on the driver. With the nl80211 interface, there has been
> an assumption on Probe Request frames being processed completely in user
> space, but other driver interfaces process them in the driver/firmware.
> Similar design may already work with nl80211, but if not, it is likely
> to be added eventually to enable drivers that need such behavior.

Thanks.
Do you mean, with nl80211 interface, wpa_supplicant handles probe req
not only in listen state, but also after GO formation for GO?  So, as
for p2p GO,
driver/firmware is just responsible for building and sending beacons or other
mlme operations(auth/associate), and it should pass probe req frames to
user space transparently?

Another question, I am working with the kernel version 2.6.34, I found that
probe_req_report is not supported in this kernel, and kernel 2.6.39 can
handle it. Shoud I transfer to the later one to test p2p?

> --
> Jouni Malinen ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?PGP id EFC895FA

Best Regards,
Kevin