Best 5ghz USB Adapter for use with wpa_supplicant and ubuntu 11.04?

Curtis Larsen curtlarsen
Tue Aug 2 14:31:12 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org> wrote:
> On 08/01/2011 06:31 PM, Curtis Larsen wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working a on a project that requires 802.11n 5ghz USB wireless
>> adapters on ubuntu 11.04. ?I will need about 100 clients. ?I need to
>> use these for some performance testing, and I need to be able to
>> select the band to test as needed (Ex. ?freq_list ...). ?Sometimes
>> testing 802.11n 5ghz 40Mhz wide, and sometimes testing 802.11 2.4ghz
>> 20Mhz wide. ?So far, I am looking at the ar9170, but it appears linux
>> support has been abandoned for this here:
>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
>
> It's replaced by carl9170, which is listed on the same page. ?I'll try to
> update the information on that page to make it more obvious for those who
> look specifically for ar9170.

okay ...I will look into that driver and see if I can get it to work.

>> I have been happy with the AR928X chip in my laptop, and have been
>> able to use full 802.11n in 2.4ghz, and 5ghz bands, and I can control
>> this as I need to.
>
> Then I think AR9271 (driver ath9k_htc) is the best option for you. Unlike
> carl9170, it's supported by Atheros.

But AR9271 has no 5Ghz band.  That is one of my requirements, and
frustrations with Atheros ...that I can't find a dual-band USB device
with supported atheros drivers.

> I think you should ask in Linux-wireless about the hardware and the drivers.
> ?wpa_supplicant does its job really well, and it's mostly
> hardware-independent.

okay I will ask them.

Thanks,

Curtis