Best 5ghz USB Adapter for use with wpa_supplicant and ubuntu 11.04?

Pavel Roskin proski
Tue Aug 2 14:03:26 PDT 2011

On 08/01/2011 06:31 PM, Curtis Larsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working a on a project that requires 802.11n 5ghz USB wireless
> adapters on ubuntu 11.04.  I will need about 100 clients.  I need to
> use these for some performance testing, and I need to be able to
> select the band to test as needed (Ex.  freq_list ...).  Sometimes
> testing 802.11n 5ghz 40Mhz wide, and sometimes testing 802.11 2.4ghz
> 20Mhz wide.  So far, I am looking at the ar9170, but it appears linux
> support has been abandoned for this here:
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers

It's replaced by carl9170, which is listed on the same page.  I'll try
to update the information on that page to make it more obvious for those
who look specifically for ar9170.

> I have been happy with the AR928X chip in my laptop, and have been
> able to use full 802.11n in 2.4ghz, and 5ghz bands, and I can control
> this as I need to.

Then I think AR9271 (driver ath9k_htc) is the best option for you.
Unlike carl9170, it's supported by Atheros.

I think you should ask in Linux-wireless about the hardware and the
drivers.  wpa_supplicant does its job really well, and it's mostly
hardware-independent.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin