Architecture for a 3-party-protocol

Paul Lambert paul
Thu Mar 11 11:45:45 PST 2010

First 802.1x is a badly designed architecture ... there really should be an ongoing bypass for key management versus the "switch" used in .1x This would be akin to the "dual stack" model in IPsec where traffic (in a fully secure - no bypass system) is either necrypted by the encapsulation protocol or sent to the key management agent.

In this context one approach woud be to use an alternate new layer two protocol Id (sapi) to support your protocol - and not use .1x  This is a better architecture, but it changes some of the base 802.11 association states.  Fixing / removing .1x would be ideal, a compromise would be to use action frames to carry the new authentication protocol.  Action frames can be sent pre-association - so would be viable for an authentication protocol.  These frames could continue unprotected after key establishment so they could support rekey or other management functions.

The last approach would be to not use the EAPoL encapsulation on the link - but not RADIUS to the third party.

Paul

Paul A. Lambert | Marvell Semiconductor | +1 650-787-9141