deauthenticated due to inactivity

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Aug 26 07:59:59 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 11:43:16AM +0200, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> Every 120 seconds, the following sequence appears in the log:
> hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:16:6f:59:03:23 IEEE 802.11: disassociated
> hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:16:6f:59:03:23 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity

> This is despite the fact that the STA in question is continuously pinging the AP. This behaviour also seems not to be influenced by the value of ap_max_inactivity, which is always set to a higher number than 120 anyway.

> The hostapd version is 0.6.9. The wireless card is an Atheros 5001X+ using the ath5k driver (nl80211 in hostapd.conf).

I was unable to reproduce this with Ubuntu 9.10 (2.6.31 kernel and
hostapd 0.6.9) with AR5416/ath9k.

Please note that the message you showed from the log is most likely
triggered by the client disassociating from the AP, not because of
hostapd doing something.. The "deauthenticated due to inactivity" part
is only shown because of the client first deciding to disassociate. As
such, ap_max_inactivity parameter has nothing to do with this and this
sounds more like a client side issue.