Deauthenticated messages in log

John Dowd jdowdster
Mon Sep 14 10:42:26 PDT 2009

On Thursday 10 September 2009 15:46:30 Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 15:19 -0400, John Dowd wrote:
> > I'm running hostapd v0.6.6 on a laptop with WPA2 authentication. I do
> > have connectivity between my AP and the client and it does authenticate
> > successfully. However lately, I've been seeing this message occurring in
> > the logs:
> >
> > Sep 10 15:13:01 linux-ivvo hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:12:cf:8f:06:6b IEEE
> > 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request
>
> That indicates that something on the local machine is requesting
> deauthentication.  Perhaps you're running NetworkManager on the machine
> and not using NetworkManager to manage the wlan interface, in which case
> you're stepping on each other's toes?  If you don't want it to, there
> are a few ways to make NM ignore that interface.  Or, you could just let
> NM manage it.
>
> Dan
>
> > After the client connects and the handshake is reported to be complete
> > and then a few minutes elapse, I start seeing this message occuring.
> >
> > My question is, what causes this message and is it a symptom of a problem
> > or is this normal behaviour from a AP that is not seeing any traffic on
> > the connection?
> >
> > Cheers!!

I've been wrestling with this now for a few days. I have made sure that there
is no network manager running of any kind. I still get the following
happening:

wlan0: STA 00:12:cf:8f:06:6b IEEE 802.11: authenticated
wlan0: STA 00:12:cf:8f:06:6b IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
wlan0: STA 00:12:cf:8f:06:6b IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth
request

The interval of this messaging is about 4 seconds. I can't find any reason for
something to be interfering with the interface. What would tell hostapd to
perform a "deauthentication"? Who is sending this request to hostapd? Is it
the kernel? some daemon? Is it generated internally by hostapd after some
state has been recognized?

Cheers!!

--
"To Err is human, to forgive is NOT company policy."

John Dowd
S/W Contractor
email: jdowd at gmail dot com
Cell: (613)316-7884