Deauthenticated messages in log

Dan Williams dcbw
Thu Sep 10 12:46:30 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 15:19 -0400, John Dowd wrote:
> I'm running hostapd v0.6.6 on a laptop with WPA2 authentication. I do have
> connectivity between my AP and the client and it does authenticate
> successfully. However lately, I've been seeing this message occurring in the
> logs:
>
> Sep 10 15:13:01 linux-ivvo hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:12:cf:8f:06:6b IEEE 802.11:
> deauthenticated due to local deauth request

That indicates that something on the local machine is requesting
deauthentication.  Perhaps you're running NetworkManager on the machine
and not using NetworkManager to manage the wlan interface, in which case
you're stepping on each other's toes?  If you don't want it to, there
are a few ways to make NM ignore that interface.  Or, you could just let
NM manage it.

Dan