Wep Problem When WPS is active

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Sep 14 08:55:35 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 06:28:58PM +0300, Can ILHAN wrote:
> I applied the patch and nothing has changed regarding windows xp sp2/3 clients.

I don't remember whether I've ever tested this with SP2 and don't
remember the exact SP3 behavior changes either. Anyway, I did see
something change with either XP SP3 or Vista ;-).

> > I did add a partial workaround for this in March:
> > http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=commitdiff;h=143a4bf632e79d7adbe97f23e1b02e9c1d1a5cee
>
> After applying this, I found out that (after sniffing the probe
> sniffers and another hostapd AP [telling me WPS overflow due to
> confusion]) since it is still a part of WPS IE. I will try adding that
> IE as an independent IE and see if that changes anything.

It should be a completely separate IE that is after the WPS IE (nice
that both of them are called WPS).. I'm not too surprised if sniffers
don't recognize the Microsoft Provisioning IE, though.

> By the way, I experienced another problem similar to this while
> playing with Intel Proset Supplicant and WPA/WPA2. Most of the time,
> when I double click the AP from Proset Supplicant's list (for the
> first time), it directly asks a passphrase for WPA/WPA2. However,
> sometimes, it asks me to wait till supplicant automatically gathers
> the encryption and after 10-15secs, it warns me that there may be
> 802.1x but the credentials couldnt be fetched properly.
> Its probably the same problem but you may have an idea about this
> issue. I was using the latest proset/intel 2200 driver with windows xp
> sp2/3.

I'm not familiar with this type of issue in Intel Proset, but that could
indeed be something similar. It seems to be easy to do something bad in
auto-detection code and WPS is a good way of triggering these issues
;-).