about scan and probe request

Holger Schurig hs4233
Fri Oct 23 02:10:04 PDT 2009

>     is there anyone who read the standard "Part 11: Wireless
>     LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY)
>     Specifications" ?

Wrong mailing list.

wpa_supplicant just asks the kernel (via WEXT or CFG80211) to
scan. If the scan is active or passive is then handled by
regdb/crda. If you use CFG80211, you can get a list of this
via "iw list".

> and in my view, i think the active scan is to send Probe
> Request frame, and the passive scan to receive the beacon
> frame, is it right?

Yes.

Oh, and BTW: scan request isn't a request that goes over the AIR,
it's just an API. Probe request however can be seen.

You should install wireshark and look at some actual 802.11
exchanges via monitor-mode.

Best regards,

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de