WPS:external WLAN Manager Registrars

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Oct 22 09:34:16 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 05:51:59PM +0300, Andriy Tkachuk wrote:
> On 2009-10-22 07:54, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > No and I'm not aware of any plans to do so either in the future. As far
> > as I can tell, no WPS implementation supports this part of the
> > specification.
>
> Jouni, could you elaborate, what part of specification do you mean here
> which hostapd do not support?

Messages defined in WPS specification 1.0h sections 7.4 and 7.5 (apart
from SetSelectedRegistrar) are not supported.

> As far as I understood from the spec, WLAN Manager Registrar is the
> registrar which may change AP security settings (at least), and I
> thought that hostapd support this. Am I missing something?

There are two ways to do the configuration: by running the WPS protocol
(M1..M8) with AP as the Enrollee and by using the AP Management
Interface UPnP messages (SetAPSettings, etc.). hostapd supports the
former, but not the latter (nor am I aware of anyone else supporting the
latter for that matter).

> In README-WPS there is written:
> > In addition, WPS Enrollee functionality in hostapd can be used to
> > allow external WPS Registrars to configure the access point, e.g., for
> > initial network setup.
> Only for initial network setup? Does it mean that a new external
> registrar (AP may work with several external registrars at the same
> time) won't be able to reconfigure the AP?

No, other external registrars may reconfigure the AP (assuming they are
willing to do so.. some implementations of ER refuse to reconfigure a
configured AP) by running through the WPS protocol with AP as the
enrollee. This can be done both over the EAP and UPnP transport.