EAPOL Key Timeout 1/4

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Oct 14 10:47:51 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 09:11:00AM +0200, Daniel R?nnqvist wrote:

> * Is hostapd from git supposed to work with nl80211 (with a bcm4306 rev3)?

I don't know about bcm4306, but at least the current snapshot of hostapd
seems to be working fine with the ath9k driver.

> * What does "deauthenticated due to local death" mean?

It means that hostapd requested a station to be deauthenticated (in this
case, I would assume it happened due to the WPA 4-way handshake timing
out).

> * The only messages i see with tshark during the authentication
> process is "EAPOL Key" and some "LLC" messages coming from the client
> MAC. The hostapd log says EAPOL Key Timeout on handshake 1/4. Is this
> enough to guess what ballpark my problem is in?

Have you verified that your client is receiving the EAPOL-Key message
1/4 and replying with 2/4?