deauthentication and disassociation nl80211 commands

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Oct 11 23:55:07 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 06:24:26PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On the other hand, I think Jouni's argument is that you should be able
> to authenticate (force an auth frame exchange) even while authenticated.
> I don't really disagree with that all that much, but I'm not sure how to
> cleanly fit it in. mac80211 would have to reset the auth state without
> sending a deauth.

Yes, this is exactly what I would like to see happening when using
mac80211. For now, I think we can work around the issue in
wpa_supplicant, but eventually, this change in mac80211 would allow the
code in wpa_supplicant to be cleaned up and the need for an extra
deauthentication frame could be removed.