deauthentication and disassociation nl80211 commands

Johannes Berg johannes
Sat Oct 10 09:24:26 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 04:11 +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:

> My hacky patch that was rejected on the grounds that it is not right to
> introduce the driver dependent behavior might actually be the correct
> solution. It just makes the wpa_supplicant_disassociate do both
> disassociation and deauthentication, as was always assumed by the
> wpa_supplicant core.

Jouni just wanted to have what he felt was a workaround in
driver_nl80211.c rather than the core code.

> Or kernel should became smarter and do the work for wpa_supplicant.

I still disagree. Why should the kernel deauthenticate when userspace
disassociated.

On the other hand, I think Jouni's argument is that you should be able
to authenticate (force an auth frame exchange) even while authenticated.
I don't really disagree with that all that much, but I'm not sure how to
cleanly fit it in. mac80211 would have to reset the auth state without
sending a deauth.

johannes

(NB: I'm off to Japan on Monday. Sorry I've been slow with email, but
had lots of stuff to do and then planning the next trip, I hope it'll
improve once I return on the 22nd -- well after the weekend then)