hostapd + FreeRADIUS Acct-Packets and Acct-Octets

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Feb 16 03:32:11 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:04:39AM +0300, Ghazi Sarhan wrote:

> I have setup hostapd + FreeRADIUS for accounting, all seems fine
> except reporting the attributes Acct-Input-Packets, Acct-Output-
> Packets, Acct-Input-Octets and Acct-Output-Octets, they don't seem
> right, does hostapd calculate these attributes, or it just read them
> from the driver?

They are supposed to be coming from the driver. However, it looks like
driver_nl80211.c has couple of bugs in this which make the numbers very
bogus. Fix is now available from Git:
http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=commitdiff;h=dbdf58b053e4b839ec05ee19d73f96a448f1a863

(please also note that packet counts are not available with nl80211,
these are now reported as zero instead of some bogus number)