Hostapd and ath9k - AP not working

Damon Southworth damon
Thu Apr 30 06:49:28 PDT 2009

The problem of not being able to scan the ESSID of the AP is not only
with ath9k. I am seeing the same problem with ath5k and p54 using the
nl80211 interface.

Kernel: 2.6.29.2
hostapd: 0.6.9
wireless-tools 29.

iwconfig shows:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  Mode:Master  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Tx-Power=27
dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr=2346 B
          Encryption key:96E1-E6AF-427C-4E0E-846E-58BB-145F-DF.......
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

you say that iwconfig no longer shows the ESSID which you say is by
design however the access point can't be scanned.

The debug from hostapd shows the scan requests from other stations but
the access point is not listed:

	STA 00:0b:6b:37:8a:ae sent probe request for broadcast SSID

I have attached the output from hostapd and iw list.

Damon.