att: wpa2 protocol question

Pongsak Tawankanjanachot egapongsak
Thu Apr 2 01:23:12 PDT 2009

Hi,
   I'm testing wpa_supplicant with security = WPA2, CCMP.
   I'm wondered this situation.
1) STA01 connects AP01 successfully by WPA2 (with FreeRadius as external
radius server).
2) I turn off AP01, then turn it on again.
3) STA01 sends Assoc_Request to AP01 with RSNIE+PMKID. (length is 38)
4) AP01 replies Assoc_Response to STA01

then who would continue the protocol flow?

'Coz STA01 has AP01 PMKID in its cache, so it doesn't initiate EAPOL-Start.
STA01 is waiting for 4 way handshake from AP01.
While AP01 (just turnoff/on, clear cache) doesn't know this STA01, it
obviously doesn't initiate 4 way handshake.

I guess that AP01 should send something to tell STA01 that "Hey...you are
new to me, we must do full EAP authen together" (what packet should be
here??)
then STA01 knows that this is new-start AP01, STA01 will clear it's own
PMKID cache (or not??) and continue the EAPOL-Start.

Regards,
Pongsak