Making wpa_supplicant work with dhclient on Fedora

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon May 19 08:19:53 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 07:19 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 11:22 +0800, Reik Red wrote:
>
> > Jar, could not agree more that wireless should work in text mode, and
> > not depend on some add-on code or post-boot action by KDE or Gnome or
> > what-have-you.
>
> Yes, I tried NetworkManager in Fedora 9, and it's working fine as long
> as I log in into GNOME.  The fundamental problem is, it's absolutely

Logging in is unnecessary to have NM connect you.  If you have setup
your machine with static IP either from the installer, or from
system-config-network (make sure the "Controlled by NetworkManager" box
is checked) then NM will respect the static IP configuration you have
provided.  If that's not the case, check
your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 config file to ensure
that it's using the settings you want, if not edit it with
system-config-network or directly with a text editor.  If that file
looks correct, then we can debug further.

Note that system settings support for WPA does not currently exist, not
because NM can't handle WPA (which it certainly can) but because the
old-school config files (ifcfg-XXXX) can't handle WPA settings yet.

Cheers,
Dan