hostapd, b43, nl80211 driver, WPA: report, and two questions

Francis Galiegue fgaliegue
Wed May 7 03:55:13 PDT 2008

2008/5/7 Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi>:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 12:27:17PM +0200, Francis Galiegue wrote:
>
>  > The comments in hostapd.conf say that this bridge parameter is only
>  > valid for the ath5k and hostap drivers... Misleading? (I shamelessly
>  > admit that I didn't plunge into the code yet.)
>
>  Which comments? In which hostapd.conf file? The one I have says quite
>  the opposite:
>
>  # In case of madwifi driver, an additional configuration parameter, bridge,
>  # must be used to notify hostapd if the interface is included in a bridge. This
>  # parameter is not used with Host AP driver.
>  #bridge=br0
>

>  However, now that I look more closely into this, I think you meant to
>  say "is only valid for madwifi" since you are using nl80211 (ath5k would
>  use this, too). Anyway, yes, I think that comment is now misleading
>  since driver_nl80211.c has a reference to the bridge configuration
>  option. It did not used to do this, but that changed some time ago if I
>  remember correctly. Looks like hostapd.conf was not updated at that
> point..

Probably memories from when I attempted to use a very older version of
hostapd, sorry :(

Yes, the comments say exactly what you mentioned above, and yes
indeed, I understood that it was only meant for madwifi.

Well, I gave it a try: it works!

Now I just have to figure out why I have to explicitly ACCEPT from br0
to br0 in the FORWARD chain of table filter... I thought about using
ebtables to make this transparent.

Francis Galiegue, fgaliegue at gmail.com
"It seems obvious [...] that at least some 'business intelligence'
tools invest so much intelligence on the business side that they have
nothing left for generating SQL queries" (St?phane Faroult, in "The
Art of SQL", ISBN 0-596-00894-5)