hostapd, b43, nl80211 driver, WPA: report, and two questions

Jouni Malinen j
Wed May 7 03:49:56 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 12:27:17PM +0200, Francis Galiegue wrote:

> The comments in hostapd.conf say that this bridge parameter is only
> valid for the ath5k and hostap drivers... Misleading? (I shamelessly
> admit that I didn't plunge into the code yet.)

Which comments? In which hostapd.conf file? The one I have says quite
the opposite:

# In case of madwifi driver, an additional configuration parameter, bridge,
# must be used to notify hostapd if the interface is included in a bridge. This
# parameter is not used with Host AP driver.
#bridge=br0

However, now that I look more closely into this, I think you meant to
say "is only valid for madwifi" since you are using nl80211 (ath5k would
use this, too). Anyway, yes, I think that comment is now misleading
since driver_nl80211.c has a reference to the bridge configuration
option. It did not used to do this, but that changed some time ago if I
remember correctly. Looks like hostapd.conf was not updated at that
point..