Hostapd and mac80211

Guillaume Chevillot guillaume
Thu Oct 25 01:12:17 PDT 2007

> I dare say you haven't followed Linux wireless development which is
> crucial at this stage when especially AP support is still very
> incomplete.
Indeed, I did not follow Linux wireless development. I started to look
into only few weeks into to try to configure my wireless card as an AP.

> As I have repeatedly said, I am maintaining patchsets for both hostapd
> and mac80211 to make them work together, see
> http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/patches/{hostap,kernel}
Thanks a lot for your patches ! And sorry to not found it by myself
before...

> Use some judgement to tell which patches you need ;)
I do not know if my judgment was good but it now compiles and hostapd
start whith my wireless card.
Of course, hostapd complains with many errors and for the moment the
only thing that work is the AP stuff (I can see and associate with the
AP) but the networking stuff still not working unable to have one IP
packet working.

Juste for info my hostapd logs :
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Opening raw packet socket for ifindex 17
BSS count 1, BSSID mask ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff (0 bits)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=1 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=2 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=3 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=4 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=5 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=6 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=7 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=8 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=9 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=10 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=11 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=12 flag=0x0)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=13 flag=0x0)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=1 chan=14 flag=0x0)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=1 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=2 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=3 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=4 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=5 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=6 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=7 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=8 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=9 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=10 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=11 flag=0x7)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=12 flag=0x0)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=13 flag=0x0)
Failed to set channel flag (mode=0 chan=14 flag=0x0)
Failed to set rate sets.
Failed to update rate sets in kernel module
RATE[0] rate=10 flags=0x152
RATE[1] rate=20 flags=0x156
RATE[2] rate=55 flags=0x156
RATE[3] rate=110 flags=0x156
RATE[4] rate=60 flags=0x131
RATE[5] rate=90 flags=0x31
RATE[6] rate=120 flags=0x131
RATE[7] rate=180 flags=0x31
RATE[8] rate=240 flags=0x131
RATE[9] rate=360 flags=0x31
RATE[10] rate=480 flags=0x31
RATE[11] rate=540 flags=0x31
Could not set passive scanning: Unknown error 4294967295
Could not connect to kernel driver.
Mode: IEEE 802.11g  Channel: 2  Frequency: 2417 MHz
wlan0: ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
wlan0: ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
Failed to set CTS protect in kernel driver
wlan0: ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
Failed to set Short Slot Time option in kernel driver
wlan0: ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
Could not set preamble for kernel driver
Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr 00:08:d3:28:7c:52 and ssid 'Anemoi'
wlan0: ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
Failed to set CTS protect in kernel driver
wlan0: ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
Failed to set Short Slot Time option in kernel driver
wlan0: ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
Could not set preamble for kernel driver
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b04 len=12
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b1a len=14

I will try to figure out why it does not work (I have many clues with
all of these error messages !)...

Just one question, is it plan that your patches will be reintegrate in a
kernel tree ? After 2.6.24, I presume when other modes will be stable.

Guillaume