wpa_supplicant minimal size

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Nov 20 20:42:58 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:45:57PM +0530, Romit Chatterjee wrote:

> According to the documentation, the minimum size for wpa_supplicant with *
> WPA/WPA2-Personal* support is around 50 kB.

> However, I haven't been able to get to that size. The lowest I could get was
> 70 kB, with almost everything turned off.
>
> Can someone send me a sample .config that generates a 50 kB wpa_supplicant
> binary with support for WPA/WPA2-Personal?

I don't remember the exact parameters, versions, and compiler I used in
the tests, but here's one example for a relatively small build:

CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_NO_AES_EXTRAS=y
CFLAGS += -Os

with gcc 4.1.2 for x86 produced a 61936 byte text segment (68120 bytes
stripped binary size) when using the current 0.6.x version. I remember
getting closer to 50 kB with some other options (and somewhat older
code base), but yes, that was certainly disabling more or less
everything that was not absolutely needed.