~300 bytes length packet encoding problem

Roy Marples uberlord
Sat May 12 09:26:58 PDT 2007

On Sat, 12 May 2007 08:38:52 -0700
Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:

> > I got the message : wifi0: TX - encryption failed and dhcpcd failed
> > I made tests with different length of packets
> > 300 -> ko
> > 299 -> ko
> > 295 -> ok
> > 305 -> ok
> > 500 -> ok
>
> I'm unable to reproduce this in my tests.

Using wpa_supplicant I cannot reproduce this either. I recommended
reporter comes here as DHCP message sizes shouldn't affect wireless
operation, so I'm pretty sure it's not a dhcpcd bug, but maybe
something dhcpcd triggers.

Sadly, we need to ensure the DHCP packet size is >=300 bytes as some
dodgy DHCP servers still think they need to obey BOOTP restrictions for
DHCP messages. Mainly el cheapo home routers/AP's with a mini DHCP
server built in.

Thanks

Roy