Retransmission of RADIUS Access-Request messages

Jouni Malinen j
Wed May 2 20:24:39 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 04:42:45PM +0900, Saber Zrelli wrote:

> I am using hostapd as a standalone RADIUS server.
> In my (emulated) environment the downstream RADIUS -> NAS has a certain
> (non 0) packet loss rate.
>
> I have noticed the following :
>
> When a RADIUS Access-Response message is lost, the NAS will retransmit
> the RADIUS Access-Request message. However hostapd will reject the
> retransmitted Access-Request message assuming that the message was
> duplicated.

Thanks for the report. I was able to reproduce this issue for the
RADIUS->NAS direction.

> I would like to know whether the re-transmission of RADIUS
> Access-Response messages is supported by RADIUS API of hosapd.

The RADIUS server implementation in the current hostapd version does not
have duplicate processing (radius_server.c has a TODO comment on this in
radius_server_request() function). Because of this, the re-transmitted
frame is passed to EAP server again and that is discarding duplicates.