Driver Installation Ubuntu kernel 2.6.17 Basic Help

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Mar 19 20:17:44 PDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 12:35:18PM +0100, ahuguet at cttc.es wrote:

> I tried using the search functionality of this mailing list, but it
> returns me an error every time I try to enter a query and search for it.

Oops.. That feature of the old web server was not enabled on the new
server. I'll try to remember to do something about this at some point..

> The first thing I noticed is that now HostAP is bundled with Linux kernel,
> where the updates to the driver are done, thus it's not recommended to use
> standalone driver packages (aka version 0.4.9)

"not recommended" is not strong enough.. "Must not use" would be
closer. Anyway, the standalone package does not even build with current
kernel versions.

> I've read the readme file available from the HostAP website, and I've
> found out there are three installing methods depending on the card to use.

None of which would be something you would do with Linux 2.6.17. With
this kernel version (and any other recent 2.6 version for that matter),
you will need to build Host AP driver as part of the kernel build. If
you are using a generic distro kernel (i.e., from Ubuntu in this case),
the Host AP driver may already be included and would not need to be
installed separately. If that is not the case, you may want to follow
whatever mechanism the distro uses for configured and building the
kernel.