Driver Installation Ubuntu kernel 2.6.17 Basic Help

ahuguet at cttc.es ahuguet
Mon Mar 19 04:35:18 PDT 2007

I'm fairly new to Linux OS usage, and I'd need some help with the HostAP
driver installation.

I tried using the search functionality of this mailing list, but it
returns me an error every time I try to enter a query and search for it.

The first thing I noticed is that now HostAP is bundled with Linux kernel,
where the updates to the driver are done, thus it's not recommended to use
standalone driver packages (aka version 0.4.9)

I've read the readme file available from the HostAP website, and I've
found out there are three installing methods depending on the card to use.

Either way, in all cases, there's a Makefile to be found and edited. The
KERNEL_PATH should be edited to point to the kernel path of my system, if
I understood correctly.

I've installed Ubuntu, and updated it as soon as I was prompted to.

I went then to find the folder in my system that holds said Makefile, to
install the driver.

I went to:

/usr/src/

There I've four folders:

1) linux-headers-2.6.17-10
2) linux-headers-2.6.17-10-generic
3) linux-headers-2.6.17-11
4) linux-headers-2.6.17-11-generic

Seems that the latter two belong to the updated kernel.
1&3 have the same amount of files (same happens with 2&4) so I assume 1&2
are safe copies of the "old" kernel. I'm not aware if they can be deleted
right away, though.

In any case, entering any of said folders (for instance 3) and going to:
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.17-11/drivers/net/wireless/hostap

is where I find two files, Kconfig and Makefile.

I paste here the content of said Makefile:

hostap-y := hostap_80211_rx.o hostap_80211_tx.o hostap_ap.o hostap_info.o \
            hostap_ioctl.o hostap_main.o hostap_proc.o
obj-$(CONFIG_HOSTAP) += hostap.o

obj-$(CONFIG_HOSTAP_CS) += hostap_cs.o
obj-$(CONFIG_HOSTAP_PLX) += hostap_plx.o
obj-$(CONFIG_HOSTAP_PCI) += hostap_pci.o

I see no KERNEL_PATH to be edited in it, so I guess I'm looking at an
incorrect Makefile? If so, could someone point me where to find the
correct Makefile to install HostAP driver?

Another thing I noticed is that on:

/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hostap

(or 2.6.17-11-generic)

there are 4 files: hostap.ko hostap_cs.ko hosta_pci.ko and hostap_plx.ko

Seeing the pasted Makefile above, seems as if this files should be .o
instead of .ko. I've read that, when they're .ko it means they're "module"
thus the kernel has to load and unload them every time, becoming a bit
inefficient in that process.

To sum up:
First step: Is that Makefile I found, the one to be used in order to
install HostAP driver?
If so, where is KERNEL_PATH to be edited?
Will the .ko files be a problem during the installation process?

Thanks everyone for any help that could be given to go solving this steps.
I'll use this thread as to compose a "step-by-step" questionary process to
have the HostAP driver installed and assigned to be used by the wireless
card.