Connect to specific access point by MAC?

Nazeer Khan Nazeer.Khan
Wed Jul 25 05:55:45 PDT 2007

On Wed, July 25, 2007 9:27 pm, William Pettersson said:
> First off, sorry to the list maintainer.  I send this email a few days
> ago from the wrong email address, and it got that "this list is
> moderated email"
>
> Ok, I've been tasked with setting up a number of embedded devices to
> broadcast a wireless network, with a fibre backbone and a redundant
> wireless link between nodes for redundancy.
>
> Each "node" has two atheros cards in it, so unless I'm mistaken, each
> card will simply connect to the most powerful card it can find, which
> will be its mate in the same enclosure.  Even if it does connect to an
> external "node", I can't have them connecting to any node as this may
> cause a loss
>
> To get around this, I'll need to specify which MAC address to connect to
> I guess.  I'm open to other ideas, but I can't think of any other way
> around this.
>
> Is this something that can be set up using wpa_supplicant?  I'm assuming
> that I cannot just "iwconfig ath1 ap aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff" as
> wpa_supplicant will change what I set.

In the config file use "BSSID=aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff"

Check the following link for complete information and different network
configurations.

http://hostap.epitest.fi/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/hostap/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf?rev=HEAD