Connect to specific access point by MAC?

William Pettersson william.pettersson
Wed Jul 25 04:27:14 PDT 2007

First off, sorry to the list maintainer.  I send this email a few days
ago from the wrong email address, and it got that "this list is
moderated email"

Ok, I've been tasked with setting up a number of embedded devices to
broadcast a wireless network, with a fibre backbone and a redundant
wireless link between nodes for redundancy.

Each "node" has two atheros cards in it, so unless I'm mistaken, each
card will simply connect to the most powerful card it can find, which
will be its mate in the same enclosure.  Even if it does connect to an
external "node", I can't have them connecting to any node as this may
cause a loss

To get around this, I'll need to specify which MAC address to connect to
I guess.  I'm open to other ideas, but I can't think of any other way
around this.

Is this something that can be set up using wpa_supplicant?  I'm assuming
that I cannot just "iwconfig ath1 ap aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff" as
wpa_supplicant will change what I set.

William