which ioctl in driver takes WPA-TKIP passphrase?

Dan Williams dcbw
Wed Feb 21 02:56:19 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 22:06 -0500, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> > You don't push the passphrase to the driver, you hash the passphrase
> > with wpa_passphrase to get the key and you push the key down to the
> > driver using SIOCSIWENCODEEXT.  Drivers certainly shouldn't be
> > accepting passphrases unless they are smoking really, really unholy
> > crack.
>
> Is even the key accepted by the driver?  I thought the client needed to
> generate a key from the passphrase, then do a 4-way handshake with the
> AP using that key, to get a temporal key, and then finally program the
> temporal key into the driver.  (Then it has to do a group handshake to
> get the group key as well, although WPA2 does this during the second
> half of the 4-way handshake.  Either way, the client needs to program
> the group temporal key into the driver as well.)
>
> And in any case, if you don't do the 4-way handshake after associating,
> then the AP will either disconnect you, or not let you pass any traffic.

Right; drivers have ioctls that let wpa_supplicant (or any other
supplicant) send the key to the driver after it's completed the 4 way
handshake, otherwise the driver wouldn't know how to decrypt the packets
after the handshake had taken place.

Dan