openssl engine loading in wpa_supplicant

Mattes, David david.mattes
Tue Apr 24 14:40:43 PDT 2007

I'm trying to perform EAP-TLS auth with an openssl engine interface to a
smartcard.  I think the engine initialization is taking long enough that
the AP infrastructure is resetting the EAP-TLS state.  When I watch an
ethereal capture, the EAP transaction starts and then wants a Client
Hello.  When the client doesn't respond, the EAP re-initializes.
Getting access to the infrastructure to tweak any timeout settings is
most likely not an option.

Any recommendations on how to get the engine to pre-load before the
EAP-TLS negotiation begins?  Currently the engine loading and
initialization is taking ~5 seconds!!!

Many thanks!

David