Static wep keys not set

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Apr 7 08:30:17 PDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 07:33:29AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> Jouni, could you explain privacy invoked a bit?  I've looked around for
> stuff about it quite a bit before but couldn't find much at all.

It is an option that allows drivers to set Privacy subfield in AP
mode if they generate Beacon, Probe Response, and (Re)Association
Response frames. If hostapd generates these frames (or a template for
Beacon and Probe Response frames), the Privacy subfield is set without
the driver having to do anything with this.

> In any case, this seems somewhat wrong; why exactly does the madwifi
> driver care what order these two things are set in?  It really
> shouldn't.

Agreed. I see no point in changing the order in which hostapd configures
keys and PrivacyInvoked. If the driver refuses to take them in any
order, I would recommend the driver to be fixed.