Which is better way for scanning AP channel

ahuguet at cttc.es ahuguet
Thu Apr 5 03:19:25 PDT 2007

I'm not sure that functionality you're asking for exists.

One thing you can do, though, is ensure you select a channel that, at
least, no other AP is using.

You can use the iwlist *interface* scan command in order to have a list of
all AP at reach, as well as the channel they're using. That way you could
know what channel to select, so your AP would be the only one using it,
and theoretically having a level of interference lower than the others.
You wouldn't be safe from external interference sources. That would need
sensing each channel the way you initially wanted that, as I said, I'm not
sure is feasible.

Example of the command usage would be:
iwlist wlan0 scan

I think ap_scan only sets time interval, so it would not be of use for
what you're aiming for.

Hope this information helps you.