rt73 driver trouble

Roy Marples uberlord
Tue Apr 3 23:37:41 PDT 2007

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:35:50 -0400
Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> Custom wpa_supplicant drivers are not the answer.  The answer is to
> fix the driver to work correctly with the WEXT driver.  That's why
> NetworkManager _only_ uses the WEXT driver with wpa_supplicant,
> because there needs to be standardization on _one_ interface so that
> we don't need to re-write stuff 50 times for each driver.
>
> So even if the ralink driver did get into wpa_supplicant,
> NetworkManager will not use that custom driver.

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads

The generic rt2x00 driver works with WEXT an supports all ra chipsets.
Still alpha grade stuff really and does rely on the dscape stack which
isn't in the mainstream kernel either.

>From experience, the rt2x00 driver does work, just not as reliably.

Saying that I use their flavour of the ra rt2500 driver without any
encryption as I run OpenVPN to secure the link which, imo, works better.

Thanks

Roy