PMKSA caching

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Oct 31 21:00:15 PST 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 01:52:29PM +0900, ?????? wrote:

> Actually, I know that APs with WPA2 periodically send beacon which includes
> own RSN capabilities,

Yes, RSN IE is included in every Beacon frame.

> and if AP has cached PMKs, it includes PMKID count
> and lists below RSN capabilities.

No, it doesn't.

> Are PMK and PMKID automatically stored in a cache if a mobile node first
> associates with an AP supporting WPA2?

Yes, usually they are.

> If so, is it correct that when the AP has PMKs and PMKIDs in its cache, the
> AP sends beacon including PMKID lists?

No, Beacon frames do not include PMKID lists.

> However, I haven??t seen the PMK list in beacons of the AP. I don??t?? know
> exactly how to configure only PMKSA caching function, not pre-
> authentication.

In hostapd, PMKSA caching is enabled automatically when WPA2 is enabled.
As long as you do not enable pre-authentication (rsn_preauth in
hostapd.conf), only PMKSA caching is enabled.