Need help with a WPA-PSK issue

Shashidhar Kura shashikura
Tue Oct 31 09:33:10 PST 2006

Hello All,

I need help with a WPA-PSK issue that I am encountering with a
supplicant that I am developing which runs on Windows. My supplicant
is currently working with certain commercial APs but failing with a
family of Netgear APs. It works fine with Microsoft WZC client and
wpa_supplicant from the same system.

Here is the description of the problem.

Immediately after associating to the AP, AP sends Message 1 of 4-way
handshake. My supplicant responds back with Message 2. Then I don't
receive message 3 from AP. Instead AP re sends Message 1 with
incremented "Replay Counter". The same set up works with
wpa_supplicant & WZC.

I verified that the output generated by my supplicant and
wpa_supplicant matches byte by byte for the same input. I verified
this by feeding in the Message 1 received from AP and the Nonce used
by wpa_supplicant in Message 2 of a successful WPA 4-way handshake.
So I am fairly confident that the Message 2 is generated correctly.
I think the fact that my supplicant works with certain other
commercial APs supports this.

I verified that the OIDs (OID_802_11_INFRASTRUCTURE_MODE,
OID_802_11_AUTHENTICATION_MODE,
OID_802_11_WEP_STATUS, OID_802_11_BSSID) and values set by
WZC/wpa_supplicant and
my supplicant are the same. Am I missing any step that is needed while
before calling "Set OID_802_11_BSSID".

Can some body please provide me some pointers?
Did anybody encountered this kind of behavior during wpa_supplicant
development?

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks in advance for your
help.

Regards,
Shashi

P.S: Sorry, this is probably off-topic for this mailing list, but I did not
find any other forum that is knowledgeable enough to answer this question.