ioctl[...]: No such device

Pavel Roskin proski
Fri Jul 7 20:01:32 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 13:10 -0400, John - wrote:
> ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
> hostap_pci: 0.4.4-kernel (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)

OK, so you have the driver and it loads.

> But NB, there's NO entry "hostap_pci: Registered netdevice ..." of
> any sort. So maybe it didn't find the hardware.

Sure it didn't.  Now please run "lspci" to see if the device is
connected.

> Actually, I've tried dozens and dozens of ways of getting wlan0 to
> recognize one or another access point, including four or five versions
> of /etc/network/interfaces, following one or another of the files in
> /usr/share/doc/(various). It would take pages and pages to describe it all.

That not needed if you don't have wlan0 :-)

> > When reporting problems with software, mention versions of the software inv
> > (hostap, kernel).
>
> me@~$ dpkg -l 'hostap*' pcmciautils wireless-utils
> ii  hostap-modules-2.6.15-lapdog  0.4.1-1+2.6.15-lapdog-10.00.C Host AP drive
> ii  hostap-source                 0.4.1-1                       Host AP drive
> ii  hostap-utils                  0.4.0-1                       Utility progr
> iF  hostapd                       0.5.3-1                       user space IE
> ii  pcmciautils    014-1          PCMCIA utilities for Linux 2.6
> ii  wireless-tools 28-1           Tools for manipulating Linux Wireless Exten

That's quite old, but I'm not aware of any major bugs that would prevent
detection of PCI devices.

> root@~# pccardctl ident
> Socket 1:
>   product info: "IBM Corporation", "IBM High Rate Wireless LAN PC Card", "Ver
>   manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002
>   function: 6 (network)

If you want to use a PCMCIA card, you need hostap_cs, not hostap_pci.
Run "modprobe hostap_cs" and see what happens.  You may need to run
cardmgr if your system is not properly configured to support the new
PCMCIA driver model.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin