WPA_Supplicant used with CCKM.

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Feb 16 07:04:40 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 03:50:54PM +0100, Renaud Roques wrote:

> My goal, is to use CCKM protocol for fast secure roaming.

CCKM is a proprietary protocol with no publicly available
documentation.. WPA2/IEEE 802.11i adds somewhat similar functionality
with PMKSA caching and RSN pre-authentication. These are both supported
in wpa_supplicant.

> For now, I can authenticate my mobile station with WPA. I think that the
> configurations of my access points are OK. But still, CCKM does not work.
> Is it possible to authenticate with CCKM with WPA_Supplicant? If so, what is
> the configuration that I need and which version of wpa_supplicant support
> this?

wpa_supplicant does not include support for CCKM since there is no
public specification for it.

> Is it simply possible to do "classical roaming" with WPA_Supplicant? Again,
> with which version?

What do you mean "classical roaming"? You can move from one AP to
another, if that was the question..

> Does anybody try this before? I know that one solution would be to buy the
> DeviceScape software, but isn't there another way to proceed?

Devicescape is a CCX licensee, so they can add CCKM-like proprietary
features to the supplicant. I'm not aware of other ways of using CCKM
with wpa_supplicant.