Fwd: Segmentation Fault: madwifi and hostapd

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Feb 4 18:32:01 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 05:10:41PM -0800, Chad Meister wrote:

> I'll test the code tonight or tomorrow on the current
> release of hostapd.  If I get brave enough to face
> other issues, I'll test it out on the development
> hostapd code as well.

Did you have a chance to test this yet? I'm hoping to release 0.4.8 soon
and was just waiting for confirmation for this particular issue.

> 1) I find the whole hostap logger configuration
> settings confusing and non-user friendly; i.e, setting
> bitfield makes sense only to programmers. I think it
> would be great if the logging settings could be
> reworked to something more straightforward.  A change
> in the bitfield operations in the code may not be
> necessary; the new config settings could simply be
> translated into the old bit values.

Fair enough. Though, I would expect most people to just disable all
event logger modules or enable all which have easy to use values (0 and
-1). I'll consider changing this or adding an alternative mechanism that
would allow configuration in the same way as wpa_pairwise, i.e.,
space-separated list of module names.

> 2) It would be helpful if hostapd apopted the debian
> patch that places all hostapd config files in one
> location; e.g., in debian it's /etc/hostapd/.  (The
> debian patch also changes a few file names) - rather
> than having them  all float around the other files in
> /etc.

Where is this patch? Anyway, hostapd does not really have any specific
place for configuration files. Example file may use /etc, but users can
put the files wherever they want.