How to "pass a pci=biosirq option to the kernel on boot"

Christian Buennig masala
Fri Aug 18 01:48:12 PDT 2006

??? wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I met an problem as follows:

> root at 172.25.3.161:/# cardctl insert
> root at 172.25.3.161:/# hostap_cs: 0.1.1 - 2003-10-19 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.h
> ut.fi>)
> hostap_cs: index 0x01: Vcc 3.3, irq 31, io 0x0100-0x013f
> hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wlan0
> wlan0: hfa384x_cmd - timeout - reg=0xffff
> hostap_cs: first command failed - is the card compatible?
>
> And I googled one solution like:

> Well, I was finally able to get to the bottom of it. It wasn't a problem with the
> hostap driver, nor with the pcmcia modules. It was actually a kernel problem with
> IRQ configuration. Apparently the multiple PCI busses on the board screwed up the
> IRQ assignment, and the only way to solve it was to pass a pci=biosirq option to
> the kernel on boot. Thanks for the help.
>>> prism2_hw_init()
>>> wlan0: hfa384x_cmd - timeout - reg=0xffff
>>> hostap_cs: first command failed - is the card compatible?
>
> And I just want to know how to "pass a pci=biosirq option to the kernel on boot".
> Thank you very much.
>                                                                Youkang

That depends on the bootloader you are using.

When using lilo, edit the file "/etc/lilo.conf" and insert a line like
append="pci=biosirq" into the section of the kernel you want to use.
Maybe there is already an append line, then you have to append '
pci=biosirq' to the value of 'append'.
When you made changes to /etc/lilo.conf, run /sbin/lilo.

I can't tell you out of the box what to do when using grub but it should
be similar.

On embedded system may be even no bootloader. In this case you can set
kernel options with the configuration option CONFIG_CMDLINE within the
kernel configuration. Consequently you need to compile a new kernel with
the new configuration.

Christian