MSNdis_StatusMediaDisconnect "event" occuring. why? what is this?

George S. Lockwood gslockwood
Wed Aug 9 21:32:23 PDT 2006

Please see inline...

Did you happen to see my other email re: switch connections and the three
use cases?

I did follow your advice and remove the disconnect calls (I thought
disconnect would end the  connection to a network so you could then connect
to another).  And I was able to  the reconnect to the same network (same id
& password).  I have not tried reconnect (with different id & password)
though...I'll do that in the office tomorrow.

I haven't been able to connect to on ap, then connect to another yet....but
please read the uses cases and s'il vous plait, advise me of the correct
command sequence.

inline below...

thanks so much,

george

On 8/9/06, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 08:45:48AM -0700, George S. Lockwood wrote:
>
> > Where does a MSNdis_StatusMediaDisconnect come from?
>
> The NDIS miniport driver generates it.
>
> > Sometimes after a connection / authentication has been established,
> after a
> > short amount of time, I receive a MSNdis_StatusMediaDisconnect in the
> > console log followed by a disconnection.
> >
> > Why?
>
> For some reason, the driver believed that the association was lost. This
> could be caused, e.g., by the AP disconnecting the client.

Don't know why it would...a very stable AP and network.

> When this "event" (?) occurs, the wpa_sup stays inactive for a long time
> > (>30 seconds to minutes) before retrying to connect.
>
> This is not expected. wpa_supplicant is supposed to reconnect more
> quickly. Are you using ap_scan=2 or ap_scan=1 mode?

Certainly, ap_scan=2 as this is a hidden when I saw it this morning.

> How can I guarantee a constant and consistent connection?
>
> I would not claim any guarantees on constant wireless connection.. Sure,
> this is not supposed to happen frequently if the client remains close
> enough to the AP and there is not too much external interference.

Of coures.  Am really asking: are there timeout controls (use of those
period variables perhaps) that could be tuned to look ~frequently at the
state of the connection and cause a reaction: reconnect attempt immediately?

> Can I react "immediately" to MSNdis_StatusMediaDisconnect "event" or
> > whatever it is?
>
> That's what is already supposed to happen..
>
> > Here's the log:
>
> Could you please send the full log and the configuration file you used
> here? I would like to know what exactly happened after the disconnection
> and the debug log here does not continue long enough to show how the
> connection was eventually recovered.

I can try...the log gets very large...perhaps I can cut and paste the
console text a number of times and combine in a useful and helpful manner
for you.  Of course I could send you the config file.

But that will be in 8hrs as it is night here and I'm not in the office.

would love to see your use case recommendationed command sequences.  Perhaps
I could write up your answer with my use cases in such a way as you could
use in the user documentation.  Be glad to help you.

-george